Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Manicotti

I am not making this a recipe blog because I am still reviewing movies as well but I thought why not share my interest with others.

Manicotti was always an intimidating food do to the fact that it seemed difficult. Not so. The other night I made up a recipe for Manicotti that turned out great. Sophie won't eat veggies very good because of the texture so therefore I got out my food processor and put the filling in to mask the chunk of the spinach.

1 pkg of Manicotti noodles.
cook the noodles as directed on the pkg. Boil water, salt 1 tsp, add noodles and boil 9 minutes won't be done but they will finish cooking in the oven. I use chop sticks to get the noodles out without breaking them and lay them on alunimum foil (yes you read me right) so they won't stick.
1 8 oz container of ricotta cheese (can use cottage cheese but I wouldn't)
1 bunch of spinach chopped
1/2 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 cup parmasean cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
Put these in the food processor and process until smooth.
1/2 cup cheese (I use grated cheddar)
Combine the cheese and smooth mixture together and start filling the Manicotti noodles. If you have a hard time touching goo you won't enjoy this step but trust me it is worth the effort.
Marina or Meat sauce are good. Use your favorite recipe. Mine is different everytime so I can't share.
Put enough sauce in the bottom of the 9x13 pan to make a layer then put in the filled manicotti. Put more sauce on top and then some more cheese. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.
There you go. Simple and kid approved, this is one of Sophies will eat foods that has veggies hidden inside.

3 comments:

7packofbearss said...

If you don't like to touch the goo you can cut a small corner off of a ziploc bag, spoon the goo inside and use it like a squeeze tube. Much less mess. Sounds yummy though. I think I will try it.

R Fitz said...

I am so excited to get this recipe Chel...I know you keep telling it to me, but since I keep not writing it down this will be helpful. Love you!

Di Regolo Family said...

Thanks for the ziploc idea. How great.