Thursday, March 25, 2010

German Pancakes


This is one of our family favorites, my sister however doesn't care for it. Very simple and most people have the ingredients in there pantries. The movie is of Gus and Sophie enjoying their breakfast.

The key to making it rise is the order.
Preheat oven for 450*
Use a 9x13 pan or a large (12 inch or bigger skillet)
2-4 tbsp butter, put in the preheating oven so that it will melt. Take out before it scorches.
6 eggs, beaten
1 cup of milk, I have tried every % and it doesn't make a huge difference although I think some fat is better than none. 1 cup of flour, I have tried whole wheat and white. I think the white makes a better looking and lighter texture product. Although less guilt for me with the whole wheat.
1/2 tsp salt, you can add more but I am not a salt person.
On occasion I add nutmeg for a little bit of a funner flavor. I also like seeing the specks.
Mix each ingredient as you add it before you add the next ingredient.
Pour into pan and cook about 15-20 minutes, mine always takes 15 minutes.

2 comments:

J & L Bennett Family said...

I think this is pretty cute even if I am the grandma. I especially loved the way Gus exchanged his pacifier for food a few times. Is he a "lefty" like Grandma?

Di Regolo Family said...

Yep, Gus is a lefty. I am so proud.