Saturday, January 14, 2012

Rice Pudding

My boys are allergic to eggs and milk. So I will on occasion post recipes that I make up that are both allergen free and delicious that my two year old will even eat. Now I should mention, I never use white rice so when I put rice I mean brown. I believe kids eat whatever is available. So if you offer crap they eat crap. If you offer wholesome food then that is what will be their favorite foods. Now don't get me wrong. I love myself a brownie but I have been known to make them with whole wheat flour when making them from scatch, I usually use a box. I am not perfect with the selection I offer but I try as all of us woman do.

Rice Pudding Di Regolo style

1 cup of brown rice
2.5 cups of water
dash of cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg (feel free to use as little or much as you want of the spices.)
.25 tsp salt
Boil the above ingredients on the stovetop for 35 minutes. At this point add a handful of raisins/craisins or both. Boil until water is gone about 10-15 minutes.
When the water is evaporated add some rice milk and either honey or sugar to taste. I add some nuts to give it some added protein, these are optional.

This is a great snack or an easy quick breakfast for the kids.

No comments: