Monday, January 30, 2012

Delicious Vegetable Beef Soup

So yesterday I wanted hamburger stew. I made a couple of alterations and came up with this crowd pleaser.

1/2 lg onion
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 huge potato or 3 regular potatoes
5 carrots (not baby carrots the other ones)
1 qt stewed tomatoes
1 qt tomato juice
salt and pepper to taste
a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce

Saute onion in some olive oil and salt (about 10 minutes on medium heat). Put in hamburger, pepper and fry until not pink. As all this is happening peel and cube carrots and potatoes. Put the carrots and potatoes in the pot and fry. Root veggies always taste better in a soup if they fry for 15 or so minutes before adding the liquids. Once the frying has occurred add the stewed tomatoes and tomato juice. Boil covered for about 15 more minutes until the potatoes are tender. Carrots are alright by my taste if not completely tender I would call it al dente. Turn off the heat because it will be super hot and add the Worcestershire sauce. I let it sit for about 15 minutes because my kids are little and I didn't want to have them burn their mouths. Enjoy. I served with biscuits.

This is a dairy and egg free meal (except biscuits, still working on my bread skills) if you don't add the Worcestershire sauce it would also be soy free. My oldest is allergic to soy so I watch for it also.

No comments: