Monday, September 14, 2009

Grandpa "Bruce" Nelson









My grandpa died this afternoon 3:08. He is my first grandparent to pass away. I got to the hospital this morning about 9:45am and stayed until 1:25. I was sure that once I left he would pass over and I would miss the event in life that only happens once and is I'm told quite peaceful. So sure I am feeling sorry for myself, I was there while hospice did all the paperwork, when grandpa took off the oxygen tubing and refused to use it, why the doctors came and grandma explained herself to them over and over again feeling guilt for something that she need not fell guilt about, I was able to spend a little one on one when no one was in the room. The most special thing for me was seeing my grandma show all the love and compassion that one hopes they will possess for their spouse after 62 years. Grandpa to showed all the love he could, his countenance would brighten whenever grandma spoke and he would look over to his left to see if she was their. I think that he was glad everyone cares but the he wanted grandma more than anyone.
I knew he was ready and grandma and I prayed at his bedside that he would feel the love we had for him and that the Lord's will would be done and that we hoped that he wouldn't have to suffer too much longer. So I am glad that I got a good couple hours alone with grandma, mom and aunt Sherrie. I am not a big crier when it comes to death, maybe it is all the close calls over the last year, so needless to say I wasn't needing tissues so maybe that is why grandpa waited until I left to leave as well. When I said good-bye I told him that I loved him and that it was alright if he wanted to go home.
I got back about 4:45pm and I got to visit with uncle Lyle and aunt Sherrie, uncle Tom, mom and dad, grandma, Kelly and Alyssa, and all my kids. I stayed until around 6:30 when the mortuary guys came to get grandpa's body. Sophie rode on the gurny and she enjoyed that. The boys were angels like normal and I got to thinking that I don't know what I would do if Joey were to pass away. I love him and it is times like these when I realise how much I take his love for me for granted.
How many of us take those we love for granted and forget how lucky we are? Do we show those we love how much we love them and enjoy every moment we have with them? I don't. I wish I did.

4 comments:

Dave and Ashley Blackhurst said...

Sadness aside, it really was a special day. I'm glad I got to spend time with you guys, and I (too often) take for granted how wonderful all of my extended family is.

Di Regolo Family said...

Sorry wrong video will try later, but at least I figured out how to post a video.

Myndi said...

I'm really sorry about your grandpa and my thoughts are with you and your family. This must be such a difficult time for your grandma. I love the picture of your grandma and grandpa on Rachael's blog

the weisenburger life said...

Michelle,

I was so sorry to hear of the passing of your grandpa. He was a great man and will be missed. Please let me know if you need anything.