Saturday, May 2, 2009

Part 5: Tribute to Mother's Week, My sister Rachael


First off, Happy Birthday. I am hoping that you do not read this until tomorrow.
I decided that since my sister is my little girls other mommy (nanna) that I would pay tribute to her. And since May 3 is her birthday I thought this would be the most appropriate of days to accomplish this tribute thing I am doing.
My sister and I did not get along the best growing up. She is only 5 years older than me but I was still the rival sister. I wanted to be like her, I wanted to dress like her and would try to borrow her cloths (I was always big for my age and she was petite for hers) She rarely let me borrow but on the few occasions that she did, I thought that I looked very good. I remember when she went to college and she sent me one letter. I was so excited. During this time frame of our relationship we did not make time for building a friendship with one another. I was glad to see her leave when she left for college and I thought that she did not like me when she left. But the letter helped me realize that she cared about me. I believe her leaving was the best thing for us. She was in and out a lot for the next few years. Then when my brothers started leaving on their missions she came back for good. When she came back our relationship started over with me being more mature and her more willing to try to get to know me. I now consider her one of my best friends. She has two beautiful step-children who she loves more than anything and a wonderful husband who understands her quite completely.
I want to tell her thank you for being Sophie's Nanna, I am grateful that you sacrifice so much so that I can be there for Joe while he has been so sick, and I have been so very scared that I would loose him.
I know you don't want me to say this but Happy Nanna's Day to you.
Love, Chel and Sophie

2 comments:

R Fitz said...

OOPS!!! I read it early! I love you too Chel! You are one of my best friends and so generous with letting me love Sophie so completely. I am glad that you painted a pretty true picture...I was a brat. I am glad we have made it past that...you mean so much to me!!! I don't plan on letting you down as a sister again. Love you!!!

PS---I was not petite...I was bigger than all my friends!

J & L Bennett Family said...

As the mother of you two, may I just say that you help me to understand what true love is. I am so happy to know that you love one another. My cup runneth over because I see you loving and serving each other.