Monday, July 14, 2008

Bright Eyes Finally

After days of heavy sleeping Joe has woken up. He goes from deep sleep to wide awake. When Joey and I got back this morning Joe gave us a wonderful welcome, he smiled at us for the first time since his surgery. We were so excited. We took him on a walk in the wheelchair and except for the bouncy pavers in the parking lot he loved it. We are still waiting for him to clap his hands in glee, and as soon as he does we will post it. Joe is also off of his oxygen. It took him awhile but as soon as he finally woke up from all of his sedations and anesthesia he has breathed really good on his own. We may be able to go home tomorrow, Joe needs to keep liquids down, keep his potassium down, be able to manage his pain, and maybe something else. We are so thrilled but only want him to go home when he is ready.
Sophie came home with Joey and I last night and we played, sang and had a good time. She loves being with Aunt Nannie and Uncle Zak but I think (maybe I am hoping) but even when you are 1 years old there is no place like home. Sophie is learning a lot from Taylor and MaKaylee, such as singing, and how to play with other children. We sure enjoy her.
Joey has been the strength of our family. He is a rock. I am grateful for him. Joey has been getting ansy to get home and be able to go to work. He loves his new job and loves to provide for his family.
I am doing ok. I have really relyed on Joey. Not being able to hold and love both my children whenever I want has been so hard. I cried with glee the first time I could hold Joe after his surgery. I loved holding Sophie after not being able to see her after a couple days.

1 comment:

claire said...

I am so sorry your family has to go through all this, it just seems so unfair...
Hang in there, and remember to be there for each other, (not against each other!) that what we always struggle to remember!
We love you guys...