Friday, September 25, 2015

Patience

I had a friend express to me once what a patient person I was. I was blown away. Did she not see me at the grocery while I grinned and bore a screaming child, but once in the car I would firmly express how disappointed I was in the behavior that was exhibited in the store. I was pregnant with our last child when this comment was given and now that my baby is a toddler and busy as a bee, and our other baby is a preschooler would my friend still consider me a patient person? More importantly do I believe I am as patient as I could be with my children. The answer is no. So I embarked on a goal to increase my patience and I am going to record it here. I got into a program to further my education called Pathway. It is a great program and is truly breaking me back into going to school, or at least doing school since it is online. In my religion course, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of latter-day Saints, I have been challenged to increase in a Christlike attribute and since I do not agree with my friends nice analogy that I am a patient person I have decided to make patience a bigger part of who I am. My beginning goal is to, STOP before I react to my children. If Christ were standing, because lets be real how much time do us moms have to just sick around, next to me would he shake his head at my behavior? Secondly, if I see myself being to quick to be impatient with my children I plan to be better at asking for their forgiveness when I am to hard on them. My kids seem so mature sometimes I forget how young they are. I expect them to act like responsible teenagers instead of learning elementary and preschool aged children. https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2010-09-18-continue-in-patience?lang=eng Such a great presentation that I am so blessed to be able to share with others. To be patient is to wait, not have instant gratification. After I STOP, ask for forgiveness when I am impatient, then I need to follow the 2 greatest commandments, to Love God and Love my neighbor as myself. If I do this I will begin to see others the way God sees them. I will not judge them because they aren't doing the things I think they should be doing. I will love them the way they are and look for the good in them. I will love the person not their actions. It is okay to correct my children when they do things inappropriate but I need to step away and consider how to correct them in the most loving way I can. Until next week, xoxoxo

No comments: